As the year ends, we begin dreaming of all the trips we’ll take next year. Of course, that sparks fantasies of the gear we’d like to bring while traveling. There’s always another bag, accessory, or travel essential that can make life easier on the road, so why not pick it up now so you can be ready to get out of town the instant you find that cheap flight to paradise?
Although, since you’re here at Pack Hacker, there’s a great chance you already have a wishlist of gear you’d like to grab. Luckily, it’s the time you’ve been waiting for all year—Cyber Week at REI Co-op! If you’ve been thinking about stocking up on new travel clothing, accessories, and bags, now is the time to do it! With up to 50% off on some of your favorite brands, the REI Cyber Week Sale & Clearance makes it easy to find great gifts for your family and friends, plus a few new additions to your kit so you can be ready for travel in 2024.
Need some inspiration? We’ve partnered with REI to share some of our favorite gear in the REI Cyber Week Sale & Clearance, which runs from Nov. 25-Dec. 4. From beanies to bottles and blankets, REI has it all, so check out their site for more deals and to learn how you can save even more by joining the Co-op.
- REI Co-op Traverse 32 Pack (Large)
- humangear GoToob+
- Exped Splash 15
- Arc'teryx Kadin Hoodie
- Icebreaker Merino 260 Tech Long Sleeve Half Zip Thermal Top
- KAVU Herschel Beanie
- REI Co-op Pack-Away Adjustable Cube
- humangear Uno 3-Pack
- BioLite AlpenGlow Mini
- Rumpl NanoLoft Travel Blanket
- Mountain Hardwear Camp 4 Duffel 45
- Feetures Elite Max Cushion No Show Tab
- Rumpl Solid Beer Blanket
If your travels include a lot of outdoor adventures, you might be looking at the REI Cyber Week Sale for a durable way to carry a lot of gear. This 32L pack will do the job comfortably with a well-padded harness system that also includes a beefy hip belt. The lidded entry to the main compartment better protects your gear from the elements, but you can get quicker access through a side zipper when you’re on the go. And while that hip belt is chunky, it includes pockets big enough for your phone and snacks, so you won’t have to try to get inside while trekking through the woods to the campsite or across town from the train to your hostel accommodations.
It’s all wrapped up in recycled bluesign® approved ripstop nylon to resist rips and tears from passing branches or anything else you encounter along the way, and the rain cover is easily deployable when the skies turn gray.Why We Like It
- It’s a durable and well-organized travel backpack
- There’s a rain cover under the lid that you can quickly grab when it starts to pour
- The lid can slow access to your gear, but there’s also a side zip pocket to let you in faster
- The hydration bladder sleeve and ice ax loop make it better for hiking and camping
Best for: Full-time Travelers
We’d recommend you buy humangear’s GoToob+ even if they weren’t part of the REI sale. These bottles are made with food-grade silicone and include a LoopLock™ system to keep the cap from popping open and shampoo squirting all over your toiletry bag. These containers do a great job of holding liquids and preventing leaks, which is pretty much everything you want from a TSA-approved liquid container. The set of three means you should have no problem carrying your favorite shampoo, lotion, and soap on your next vacation. There’s even a little spot where you can label what you’ve stashed in each, so your foggy morning brain doesn’t have to remember that blue means body wash.Why We Like It
- You could use them for condiments as well as toiletries, though you won’t want to mix uses in the same bottle
- They have a nice grip, so you can hang onto them in the shower
- The caps can break with rough handling, but it takes a long time of hard use
- Hair and dust can stick to the silicone
If your travel plans take you to the beach, on snowy glaciers, or even just through rainy cities (we’re looking at you, Seattle), you’ll want to ensure that your gear stays dry. That’s why we’re digging the Exped Splash 15. Not only is it a 15L dry bag to hold your swimsuit and towel when they’re damp, but it also has backpack straps so you can carry your phone, wallet, and snacks for the day without finding a soggy mess when you stop for a bite. The PU-coated recycled nylon taffeta closes with a rolltop to keep moisture at bay and includes fully-taped seams to ensure that nothing sneaks in the sides, even as you hike through the rain or take a dive on the log ride at a local amusement park. While the straps are thin, we think this is a great piece of gear to pick up during an REI sale because it can come in handy for so many adventures, and it’s much more durable than that string bag you got for free from your dentist.Why We Like It
- This dry bag has shoulder straps that work well for carrying it to the pool, beach, or on a hike
- It’s super lightweight, so it’s nice to toss in a daypack just in case you need it
- The straps are simple thin webbing, so they can start to dig in after longer periods of time
- A rolltop design gives you slower access to your gear
A water- and moisture-resistant jacket may not be the sexiest thing to drool over, but we’re amped to pick up the Kadin Hoodie from Arc’teryx. Along with water-resistant zippers to close the jacket and the nice-sized pockets, there’s also a toggle adjustment at the back of the hood to keep it tight even when the wind picks up and VELCRO® cuff closures to keep it from whistling up your sleeve. The GORE-TEX INFINIUM fabric has a four-way stretch, and it’s super breathable as it blocks out wind and water, so you don’t feel like you’ve wrapped up in a plastic bag like with some cheaper travel rain jackets.
It’s hard to believe such a great jacket is part of the REI sale, but since it is, we really recommend you scoop this up during Cyber Week! You can save even more when you join the Co-op, and with the Rewards you’ll earn on this jacket, an REI Co-op Membership will pay for itself.Why We Like It
- This breathable, water-resistant jacket packs into its own pocket
- It won’t restrict your activities and allows enough range of motion to swing a golf club
- It’s on the pricey side, but Arc’teryx is quality gear that will last for years of travel
- The sleeves may be too slim to fit over super bulky clothing if you’re a big fan of layering
We recommend packing a travel capsule wardrobe whenever possible, and if you are, you’ll want to start with a good base layer like the Merino 260 Thermal Top from Icebreaker. The Merino wool jersey material feels super soft on our skin, and we like the zipper at the neck so you can bundle up or have a little more room to breathe, depending on how you’re feeling at the moment. Icebreaker offset the shoulder seams to avoid it rubbing when you’re wearing it with a backpack, which we think is an excellent detail that we wish other brands would take into account.
We wear it solo on warmer days and layer hoodies and packable travel jackets on top of it to stay toasty on colder days. Either way, we look polished enough for a nice lunch date and are comfortable enough to take a fall hike to leaf-peep.Why We Like It
- This is a great base layer, but we also like wearing it on its own
- Merino wool is great for breathability and odor reduction
- It seems to run a little small, so be sure to check the size guide before ordering
- It’s 100% Merino wool, which may irritate some users with sensitive skin
When the leaves start to turn and the wind starts whistling through the trees, that is the time when we start to realize that spending time outdoors calls for a good hat. If you’re looking for a super-soft option with a fun design, you should definitely snag the KAVU Herschel Beanie while it’s part of the REI Cyber Week Sale. Whether you want to sport your love for road trips in camper vans, Sasquatch, birds, or you just want to embrace the coming cold with a parade of polar bears around your crown, you’ll appreciate the comfortable feel of this beanie. And, as a bonus, the cute pom on top will help your travel companion spot you in the crowded Christmas market so you can reconnect over cocoa.Why We Like It
- It has nice stretch to fit comfortably around your head, even if your hair’s in a bun
- You can show off your personality with fun designs
- Hats topped with poms don’t match everyone’s aesthetic
- You may find it so comfortable that you have to go back and order a second for a friend
Some travel backpacks have tons of built-in features to help sort your gear, but other more open bags (ahem, duffles, ahem) can sometimes benefit from added organization. If your favorite piece of rolling carry on luggage is big on space but low on ways to keep your clothing from becoming a jumbled mess by the end of a flight, this Pack-Away Adjustable Cube is a great solution.
It’s super durable, with 300D recycled polyester fabric, a TPU coating, and even durable water repellent to resist moisture and staining. What sets this apart from other packing cubes are the two firm adjustable dividers that connect via hook-and-loop fastener strips running along the bottom and side of the cube. That means we can make a smaller space for socks and underwear, a larger area for bulky hoodies and pants, and something in the middle for tees. Since it has a mesh top, it’s easy to see what’s inside, yet it’s super fine to resist accidental splashes if you have this sitting next to the bathroom sink.Why We Like It
- You can customize the interior and create compartments for your gear
- It includes handles to let you easily pull it out of your bag
- At 25L, this is very large, so it works better with rolling carry on luggage or larger bags
- It’s pretty heavy for a packing cube
Single-use plastics are the enemy of every Earth-friendly sustainable packer, so why not use the REI Cyber Week Sale to make a difference in your carry-out dining? When you add these TSA-friendly utensils to your packing list, you’ll never have to deal with a plastic tine breaking off in your salad, and you can feel less guilty about the mountain of trash in the ocean.
With a spoon on one side and a rounded fork on the other, you’ll be ready to enjoy tasting your way around the world, whether on a multi-country tour or just touring EPCOT. We can use the fork edges to cut through food, although you’ll want to order steak bites instead of a full filet because they won't cut it with your meat. The lack of sharp edges comes in handy when you want to one bag travel on your next flight, and since it comes with a set of three, you can skip washing between meals or share with a friend.Why We Like It
- The high-temp nylon is soft and comfortable to hold
- You can put them in the dishwasher
- They’re on the smaller side for those with larger hands
- Certain foods can stain the colored utensils
How often have you tripped over the towel on a dark hotel bathroom floor and nearly pulled the towel rack off the wall while trying to catch yourself? Oh, that’s just us? Even if you’re more graceful, bringing a little night light is a great way to brighten the night in an unfamiliar place without waking up your travel companions. When you get the AlpenGlow Mini through the REI sale, you’ll have a super lightweight way to illuminate your room or light up the night as you explore an unfamiliar area.
It can be a bright yet soft white light, or you can dim it to make it easier to fall back asleep. You can also change it to a fun color to set the mood or let it cycle through the rainbow at a calm or frenetic pace. A super-strong little bungee on the back lets you hook it to an attachment loop on your travel backpack, hang it from the towel rod or even a tree branch, depending on where you need a little light.Why We Like It
- You get 40 hours of low light on one charge and five on the maximum brightness
- It recharges via USB-C, so you may not have to pack a separate cord if all of your gear is on the same ecosystem
- While it’s not really a necessity, you can set the mood with different modes and color options on this rechargeable tiny light
- It’s not intuitive to use properly out of the box, so don’t ditch the instruction manual before you practice
Blankets are a dime a dozen, but a good one will be your friend forever. Cliches aside, the Rumpl NanoLoft Travel Blanket is warm yet lightweight, making it a great addition to your packing list whether you’re heading out for a ski trip or just know you’ll get chilled in the airplane’s air conditioning. Okay, maybe it’s a bit overkill for an airplane, but this is a great addition to any outdoor enthusiast’s kit. If you (or a loved one) are big on camping, this is the blanket for you.
It’s water resistant, which comes in handy during dewy morning picnics. While it’s not temperature-rated, it’ll keep you cozy down to about 45 degrees Fahrenheit (7.2 degrees Celsius). However, we recommend using it at summer bonfires vs. using it as your sole source of warmth in a tent. When you’re ready to pack up and head home, it compresses into a separate carrying case that clips together at the top to keep the blanket inside. We find this a little difficult, so practice makes perfect, but it’s pretty compact for its size once everything is said and done, so we’re not complaining. And, since it comes in some real fun colors and patterns, you can find the one that best expresses your personality during the REI Cyber Week Sale.Why We Like It
- Pretty packable considering its size and how warm it is
- Comes in a ton of fun colors, so you can really express your sense of style
- We find it a little difficult to get the blanket back in its dedicated pouch
- Storage pouch isn’t attached to the blanket itself, so it’s easier to misplace
If your travel plans include a road trip, packing for a hostel stay, or heading out camping, you’ll like how much space you get in the sturdy Mountain Hardwear Camp 4 Duffel, part of the REI Cyber Week Sale. It can hold 45 liters worth of gear and includes a singular shoulder strap and removable backpack straps to give you options for carrying it. A large zipper pocket on one end has a key clip and enough space for your phone, wallet, and passport. Inside, a large shoe pocket keeps them separate from the rest of your gear. It's also where you stuff this packable duffle when you’re not using it. It has compression straps to hold your gear in place, but if you need internal organization, try pairing it with an adjustable packing cube!Why We Like It
- A large duffle works well when you prefer a lot of open space, and this one can be packed away into the shoe pocket
- Large flexible plastic pulls make the main compartment zipper easy to open
- While it has compression straps, there is minimal organization in this very large bag
- The backpack straps take a bit of effort to slide through the loops, although once you have them on, they do a good job of staying connected
When you want a good travel wardrobe, start with the base. And, in this case, we mean the bottom because if your feet aren’t happy, nothing will feel good. We like the cushion in these Feetures socks because they’re supportive enough to walk for miles crisscrossing the Magic Kingdom, take a sunrise run along the lake, go for a marathon shopping trip, or whatever your plans include for the day.
They’re super low cut so that you can look cute in your travel shoes without a white line showing between your pants and shoes, yet the tab on the back helps prevent blisters on the back of your ankles from the back of your sneakers. Don’t worry; they come in many other colors, too, so pick the hue that makes you happy, and the extra support in the arch will keep you going for miles and miles.Why We Like It
- They don’t slide down in your shoes when you walk
- You can get near to a sockless look without getting blisters on your heels thanks to the tab
- You’ll want something taller in colder weather
- We can sometimes feel the brand logo on the bottom of the sock
Everyone needs a good blankie, even your brew! When heading out for a picnic in the park or a day at the beach, you’ll want to wrap up your favorite beverage in this adorable sleeping bag-like koozie to keep it nice and cold. The recycled ripstop polyester’s quilted look gives us slumber party vibes while cradling your drink. A criss-cross of webbing holds a 12- or 16-ounce can in place throughout the party, and the entire blanket tucks away into an attached pouch to be ready for the next event when you’re through.
Of course, we think that pouch can serve double-duty, too; it’s about the size of an AirTag, so you can pop your favorite tracker inside to keep track of your can!Why We Like It
- You’ll have no problem keeping track of your drink in this unique holder
- The material is satiny to touch and comfortable to hold
- The shiny material is a little slippery
- It’s a bit wide for skinny cans like seltzers
So, if you’re looking to get going on your shopping list for the traveler in your life (especially if that’s you!), we recommend adding this gear to your cart during the REI Cyber Week Sale. We’ve only scratched the surface here, so we’re sure you’ll find even more great deals to make your life and next trip better when you head over to their site.